Having cold, headache, burning sensation in the throat. Taken allegra and Dolo. Remedy?

I am 46 yrs Old.5ft 5in Ht. 75 Kgs.
Since Yesterday I am having cold ,severe head ache and burning sensation in the throat.Today morning I have taken Allegra 120 Mg with Dolo 650 mg. As the headache was severe I followed up with one more dosage of Dolo 650 mg.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

From the symptoms that you have mentioned, it looks like Upper Pharyngitis. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause Mononucleosis (mono) and the Flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.

The headaches that you are having can be due to sinus congestion which occur in upper respiratory tract infection. Chronically inflamed sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus.

It drips down on the back of the throat which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness due to sinus headaches.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.

Follow-up: Having cold, headache, burning sensation in the throat. Taken allegra and Dolo. Remedy? 31 minutes later
I am out of my hometown and not in a position to visit a doctor right away.
Can you please prescribe the medication ?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back. You can continue with Allegra and Dolo.

You may need a further course of antibiotics which should be taken after you consult your physician.

The golden rule for sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. This will lessen the headaches. So do it 2-3 times a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions I'll be available for follow up.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.