Having cold, congested nose, headache and fever. Prescribed antacid, levocetrizine and levofloxacin but symptoms came again. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I am having cold since past 3 weeks. I didn't cough, but my nose felt congested and also had headache and mild fever. I went to a doctor and he suggested antacid(pantaprazole), levocetrizine and levofloxacin. I took for 5 days and was OK. Then symptoms came back again and I went to him again. This time he gave me antibiotic for throat, levocetrizine and vitamin caps. I took meds for 5 days and still had little sore throat. And nose congestion was there. I had though no coughing episodes. I followed up with him. He gave me Amoxycillin and Potassium Clavulanate tabs. I took it for 5 days. It seems that sore throat went, though I had this nose congestion and headache followed by fever. Now yesterday night I began to feel shaky and had fever. Also sore throat is there.

Can you please tell me why its coming back again? Also my nose congestion and headache though I don't have any cough. I am having acidity. Please Advice
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral/relapse,cultures,add meds,ENTcheck,Sinus CT

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Colds are usually viral infections. You also have an increased Lymphocyte count in your blood tests. This is in favor of a viral infection.

2. You do not seem to have received any decongestants or anti-inflammatory medication for the nasal congestion and headache.

3. Get an ENT check up. If there are signs of recovery, add a decongestants (such as Tab. Solvin once a day and Tab. Disperzyme once a day along with steam inhalation and a medicated gargle (such as diluted Betadine oral rinse). Take adequate rest and keep yourself warm and well hydrated.

4. If there is no response, get a nasal and throat swab cultured. Get a plain Sinus CT Scan done. You may share the results here.

5. Have you discontinued the anti-acidity medication? WHy was a serum amylase done in your blood tests?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.