Having cold and lingering cough with wheeze. What is the treatment?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX I recently had a cold and now have a lingering cough with a wheeze at the end of the exhale. How can I treat this?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
hello and thanks for the question.

It sounds like you have a mild case of bronchitis. Most of the time this is caused by viruses. Antibiotics typically do not improve this type of condition.

In your case if you're having wheezing you might benefit from albuterol. This is a prescription medication that generally comes in an inhaler. this is something you would have to obtain from a physician.

Otherwise you might consider some over-the-counter preparations to help with your cough. I think that your cough might be related to spasm of your airway. This is almost like asthma.

also make sure you are staying well hydrated and try to get some extra rest if possible.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: Having cold and lingering cough with wheeze. What is the treatment? 22 hours later
What type of OTC cough medicine would help for this wheezy type of lingering cough. Do I need to get an expectorant, something with mucus relief, or just a simple cough suppressant?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
An expectorant would be a good idea.

Detailed Answer:
Something like dextromethorphan would help with the cough. This is readily available at local pharmacies. Also you might consider using some Claritin. This might also help with your secretions.

Dr. Galamaga