Having cold and had many sinus infections. Scheduled for tonsillectomy. Developed bronchitis. Should I postpone the surgery?

Feb 2013

My daughter (5yrs) is scheduled for a tonsillectomy in two days(enormous tonsils & many infections) . However, she now has a nasty cold and I'm 95% sure it's turning into a sinus infection. She's had many sinus infections and I know her "routine". (Low fever, nasal congestion,green/yellow snot, etc.). My big concern is that sometimes she develops bronchitis (being asthmatic) from sinus infections... I know how hard the recovery will be (my son had his removed). ... I do know the anesthesiologist will listen to her breathing before surgery, but my "mom gut" says to postpone the surgery.... Thoughts?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Tonsillectomy is an elective surgery on most of the occasions.

As she is having nasty cold, I advise you to postpone the surgery.

In patients with sinus infections, bronchitis, and asthma, cold may be followed by cough, fever, and XXXXXXX sinus infection as you said and observed in your daughter.

In this situations, postponing surgery (tonsillectomy) to healthy seasons such as summer is a good option.

Inform your daughter's present symptoms to her treating ENT specialist and Anesthetist and discuss your concerns about the postponement of surgery.

They will review her clinical history and assess her health status at present and decide about her fitness for the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.