Having cold and cough and taking antibiotics. Having hoarse voice and took defcort and pofinac. Advise?

Initially I had cold and cough which I guess gave me hoarse voice. So after one week of home remedies I consulted two physicians. Initially I was antibiotic course TAB CIPLOX 500, Hilet DC, Syp Kofarest. Cough reduced but hoarse voice remained as it is. Then I visited another physician who gave me Antibiotic DoX 200, Mucinex, Pulmoclear. Well cough was all gone after week but voice was still hoarse. Then to control inflammation I was given DEFCORT 6 and POFINAC SP for week. Well now after 8 weeks all is fine EXCEPT hoarse voice. I have no pain talking but voice is not clear.
So what is the advice for to fix my voice

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
The most common cause for hoarseness of voice is cough and cold or sinus infections,as it has happened with you.But such types of hoarseness usually goes away in 2-3 weeks time with proper treatment.
Besides cold there could be other reasons for persistent hoarseness like..
Acid reflux disease.
Chronic smoking
Overuse or abuse of voice as in shouting or singing which may cause either swelling or growth on vocal cords.
Under active thyroid
Throat cancer.
You must consult an ENT specialist and get yourself examined properly by physical examination,laryngoscopy etc.
Till you consult an ENT specialist,do the following..
Avoid shouting
Drink plenty of warm fluids and avoid gargling
Avoid decongestants as it dries up vocal cords.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Having cold and cough and taking antibiotics. Having hoarse voice and took defcort and pofinac. Advise? 9 hours later
I donot smoke or have thyroid issues. I am surprised reading your advice of avoiding gargling. All this along 8 weeks I have been told to do salt water gargling three times of day. I have done at least twice daily. What is the harm.

Also I have avoid talking all this time but have to talk sometime as I am an architect. Friends have suggested to get throat cultural tested for the right antibiotic. Instead should I go with laryngoscopy as your suggested.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I know it would have come as a surprise to you but it is true because of following reasons.
1st...gargles never reach your voice box ( larynx ).
2nd...When a person gargles his two vocal cords strike each other resulting in more swelling and strain to your vocal cords.
3rd..if you gargle with mouth wash,the alcohol content makes your mucosa more dry.
There is no need to get any throat culture as you habpve already taken plenty of antibiotics and moreover the problem is deeper down in larynx.
You must visit an ENT and get the laryngoscopy done.
I hope it clears your mind.
Follow-up: Having cold and cough and taking antibiotics. Having hoarse voice and took defcort and pofinac. Advise? 13 hours later
Thanks for your advice. I hope laryngosopy is not too painful. I will schedule something this week.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
This procedure is easy and is done in OPD only without any problem.
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.