Having cold and cough. Suggest medication?

May 2013
I have a cold real bad and been taking over the couter cough medcine now my ain is on my left side on chest can you help or advice me? I think I need cough medcine a lttle stroner I also wanted to thanyou for your time I just had this cold I can not get rid of it Thankyou very much I would appreciate Proheth w codein 8 0z if you think that will help me

I dont have a iphone just a old fashon phone I hope you can help I am getting ready to go on vacation I hope you can send me a script thankyou
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics needed to treat infection

Detailed Answer:
Cough syrups will help in decreasing the throat irritation and cough.
But to get complete cure, possible underlying infection to be treated.
So you once consult physician and get examined.
After auscultation he can diagnose any lung involvement.
If it is simple productive cough, one course of antibiotics with cough syrup can help in decreasing the symptoms.
You can continue your cough syrup.
Along with these you can follow household measures like :
- Drinking plenty of water. Taking warm soups, tea etc.
-Steam inhalation can give relief from cold.
-Taking tea with honey can decrease the throat irritation.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Having cold and cough. Suggest medication? 9 hours later
I saw my MD about two weeks ago he gave me the z-Pack and I have a inhaler and Iuse steam its just hurts real bad when I cough and I not sure what else to do I know i keep getting sinus infections then it turns into a bad cold is there any thing you can prescribe for me like a Cough syrup w codeine? that works the best for me thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
to rule out recurrence of sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Better to consult ENT doctor once and rule out recurrence of sinus infection.
If you are comfortable with inhaler you can use that. If not you can take stream inhalation.
You can try the household remedies I recommend previously, possibly that can help to decrease the cough.
We should not give prescription through the site. You can take the cough syrup with your doctor's advice.