Having cold and cough. Noticed yellow mucus. Cure?

I have a cold, I think? Not sure if it is viral or bacterial or what to do about it. I am able to sleep at night (I use Vicks cream) when I awake I cough horribly until I cough up all the thick, yellow mucous and blow my nose of all the yellow mucous as well. This usually lasts an hour. Then for the rest of the day I have a "tickling" cough which does not produce anything. I have terrible coughing spasms to the point where I can not catch my breath. I had to leave work today because it was so intrusive. The coughing spasms are worse when I talk for a while. I am drinking lots of fluids. I have been sick for 6 days......worse each day.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 6 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

I have gone through your details with available information, you are having lung infection commonly initially it is viral but gets secondary bacterial infection.

The yellow sputum indicates bacterial infection and severe cough and breathing difficulty is due to spasm of airways.

You should consult a Physician and physical examination and tests like complete blood count, blood sugar, sputum for gram staining and culture and x XXXXXXX chest.

Treatment would involve antibiotic, cough expectorant, bronchodilators, and paracetamol. Please take proper prescription, In the meantime keep yourself well hydrated and steam inhalation twice a day helps.

Hope this information helps, if you have any doubt please feel free to ask me, I will be happy to help you.

With Best Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.