Having cold. Experienced pain and dizziness while blowing nose. What could be done?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a bad head cold and while blowing my nose both my ear drums popped and I experienced both great pain and dizziness for a short time afterwards. For the following several hours I could not get my inner ears equalize with the outside atmospheric pressure and once they finally did I noted my hearing to be some what muted or slightly diminished. I went to see my family doctor and she examined my ears and no damage was done to the ear drum but they were both red and inflamed.
How long will it take to restore my normal sense of hearing?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The cold has blocked the Eustachian Tubes which connect the middle ear to the nose and help equalise the air pressure on both sides of the ear drum. They also help drain the normal middle ear secretions. This is common, especially after blowing the nose forcefully during a cold.

2. Since a major part of the balance system is in ear, dizziness is also common. It will subside once the middle ear heals.

3. The decreased hearing ( clogging, pain) is also due to this ETD (Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done to quantify the hearing loss, it's type and any changes in middle ear pressure or fluid build up (Serous Otitis Media or SOM).

5. Request your doctor to start supportive medication such as anti-allergic, decongestant and mucolytic medications. Local nasal decongestant drops or sprays and regular steam inhalation will definitely help reduce the discomfort. Since the ear drums are red and inflamed, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication may be started.

6. With this treatment it should not take longer than a few hours or a couple of days to recover your hearing.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.