Having clod. What treatment should be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Dear Doctor,

I am having clod for last one month ,,,,
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Common cold Is caused by viral upper respiratory infections which are self resolving and are completely resolved in 2-3 weeks . With supportive therapy like decongestants etc you may even have relief earlier.
However perrenial cold or running nose , coughetc may point towards an underlying problem like allergy or asthma ( allergic rhinitis or sinusitis ) or low immunity or Disorders of nose and sinuses.
First and foremost you should get yourself evaluated by an Ear nose throat surgeon to know the exact cause so that appropriate treatment can be started .
If its allergic then decongestant and steroid nasal sprays and anti allergic medicines ( antihistamine , montleukast etc) can bring you relief.
If its a deviated nasal septum or sinus problem then specific treatment will be needed.
Meanwhile you should try some general measures for faster relief like ,
1. Warm saline throat gargles and steam inhalations thrice daily for soothing relief.
2. Vitamin C and zinc supplements taken daily ( Limcee and Zincovit etc)
3. Drink lots of water
4. Have a nutritious diet and exercise or do yoga ( breathing exercises ) daily .
5. Avoid dust , pollution , smoke etc
As of now since its already one month , I would recommend you consult a specialist for further treatment for the best results .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.