Having chronic pain in shoulder area and feeling sick in stomach. Looking for temporary relief

I have been having chronic pain in my upper right side about where my bra strap meets the round part of my bra area. I was quite uncomfortable last night. Did not sleep well, felt sick to my stomach. This has been going on and off for about a week or more. At first I thought it may have been because of shoveling snow and chopping ice. I haven't eaten anything for almost 24 hours except drink water and make a smoothie. What do I do until I can get into my doctor? I am a 61 yr old female?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX, I will be happy to assist.
There are many possibilities for the cause of the pain you are describing. The most common would be a pulled muscle or rib joint inflammation, which is called "costochondritis". However the fact that you felt "sick to your stomach" is either coincidental, or it could be part of the problem. You may have a stomach virus, but you could also have a gallbladder stone ("cholelithiasis"). The fact that you lost so much weight last year was a good thing, however placed you at risk for developing gallstones (people who lose weight quickly, for example after a gastric bypass, are prone to develop gallstones). I would highly suggest you visiting your ultrasound to check it out. If you develop fever or chills in the meantime don't hesitate to go to the emergency department.
Hope that helped, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.