Having chronic pain in back after a fusion at L3 and no cure with medication. What should I do?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I had a, fusion at L 3 that did not take I see a chronic pain Dr . He says that it's probably not the reason for the pain. But inside I feel this thing in my back like the tip of if something can't touch it's pressing pushing all against the inside . It's just getting worse and his medicine does not work. I feel like I don't know what kind of doctor I need this getting worse pressing against nerve ending and what ever else it touches.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
low back pain/post fusion

Detailed Answer:
Respected ma,am
Hello
I have gone through your history in detail.

Chronic pain over back after laminectomy +/_ fusion is a common feature .
BUT most of the chronic pains are relieved by medications/ bed rest / physiotherapy etc.
If it still persists , may i suggest

1. Try stronger analgesics with muscle relaxants with local applications of analgesic GEL

2. Try taking PREGABALIN/ GABAPENTIN/ CARBAMAZEPINE TO relieve neuralgic pain

3. Try taking ANTIDEPRESSANTS / CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE +TRYPTOMER COMBINATION etc

4. If pain still persists get a repeat MRI LUMBOSACRAL SPINE / CT SPINE to rule out any direct compression over nerves .

5. If some compression (significant )is seen the re exploration surgery may be beneficial

ThanKS

Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX
Director
Department of neurosurgery

Follow-up: Having chronic pain in back after a fusion at L3 and no cure with medication. What should I do? 29 minutes later
Did c t scan .taking all the above meds. what Dr too see

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
low back pain /post fusion

Detailed Answer:
Respected ma,am

BEST is to go to the same doctor who did previous surgery.
Or you may consult another neurosurgeon for a second opinion

Thanks

Dr. Praveen K Nath