Having chronic migraines and severe peripheral neuropathy in both feet. Eyes are sensitive to light and gynomastia with testosterone. Concerned?

My son is 45 and has had chronic pain issues stemming from a spontaneous c-2-3 fusion discovered in late 20s. He was on high doses of three opiates and last year finally got off dolophine. In April he was discharged from the chronic pain program run by Kaiser Permanente in our area. He has developed chronic migraines, occurring weekly and severe periferal neuropathy in both feet. Today his PCP gave him Rx for nortriptaline and a beta blocker. I he is sick and tired of taking pills and I want him to try a more natural supplement for both migraines and neuropathy . Should I order both support formulas ? Can he take them along with the new meds? He currently off all opiates. He is scheduled for a brain CT, and has a hx of Hep-C in the late 20s. His eyes are very sensitive to light and is bothered by gynomastia with testosterone in low 300s. One radiologist suggested he may have Ankylosing Spondylosis, and he has been seen by several neurologists over the past 10-15 years without any solutions. He is permanently disabled now and is on MediCal insurance but I would pay anything to have my active handsome son back again. When he was on opiates plus Dolophine his detention went from near perfect to total loss of all his molars. Plus he believes the gynomastia was also caused by that medication. Thank-you for your time, a concerned mother.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think there are other things that could be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I really do believe there is much that could be done to offer a better quality of life to your son.

I am afraid he has to consult a neurologist for evaluation for the migraines and the neuropathy. This in no way disputes the fact that natural tharapies as you propose do offer some amelioration of neurologic symptoms. I do think a complete clinical evaluation by a competent neurologist, could offer some ground basis for monitoring, evaluation and proper follow up of his progress under treatment.

A complete screening for serum electrolyte levels, (calcium especially), vitamin D, diet, fruits, psychological support, adapted exercise could be of great help. It might be useful at some point to introduce a psychologist into his management plan.

I understand it might be tempting at times to abandon pure medical therapy to natural therapies. But i am afraid, in his case, it is not the best of ideas. I do suggest he sticks to his medical advice and could associate some natural therapies if need really be.

Consult a neurologist and also seek the opinion of a psychologist, Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best.

Kind regards

Bain LE, MD