Having chronic lower back pain. Had cortisone injection. Should I take amphetamine type medication?

Psychiatrist
Question
In the 60's a doctor gave me a medication for severe cramps The medication was an amphetamine mate called dexadrine. Since then it has gotten a bad name and has never been offered to me for back spasms and at age 73 now I have lower back pain. It is CHRONIC and I just had a cortisone injection 2 weeks ago in my facet area this time and it was relieving my pain down to a 3 to5. I went to the eye doctor and now I am in bed because of too much pain which came from a 10 minute sitting in a bad position for my lower back. My chiropractor is a good one but this situation does not go away over night and to make things worse I am out of my break through pain. because New doctor gave me only enough for 2 or less a day. The new doctor assumed I would have much less pain etc. which did not happens. I wrote to much sorry. I take Provigil for what the new doctor thinks is I have a form of narcolepsy. So far I have paid over $1,000.00 a month. Do you think I would be in line to ask my doctor for an amphetamine type medication . That would help me stay awake in the day time and do you think it also my kill 2 birds with one stone.in regard to helping this CHRONIC back pain. Is it more addictive than Oxycodone or contain? Also think I have some form of ADD. Thank you
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Amphetamine like medications can help for better arousal during the day and so can hep for a better sleep during the night. They can act like catching two birds with one stone.
As you mentioned, Oxycodone and the similar medications can control the pain, but they may cause apnea during the night.
A good medication for your situation which you can ask from your doctor would be a medication from the class of tetracyclic antidepressants (like mirtazapine, etc).
This medication can control the pain and also can improve the sleep quality. It can be started with low dose and you may need just the low dose of it.
I wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Having chronic lower back pain. Had cortisone injection. Should I take amphetamine type medication? 2 hours later
I do take Cymbalta and does nothing for pain. Is the medication you suggested simulair to Cymbalta

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 12 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. When Cymbalta does not work or when it affects sleep quality, a medication from the class of tetracyclic antidepressants like Mirtazapine, Maprotyline or Amoxapine can be useful for the pain control and also the sleep. I wish you a very good health.