Having chronic diarrhoea. Experiencing a strange clear liquid discharge. What could be this?

I have been having chronic diarrhea for six months now. It seems to have gotten better in the last few weeks, but I still experience a strange clear liquid discharge, at least 4 times a day, often when I have to pass gas and never when I have a bowel movement. Any idea what this could be?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar kini, gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. Is it a small quantity or large quantity stool?

2. Foul smelling?

3. Do you get up from sleep for bowel movements?

4. Weight loss?

5. Any tests done so far?

6. On any medications?

7. Any medical illness?

Get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Having chronic diarrhoea. Experiencing a strange clear liquid discharge. What could be this? 19 hours later
Thank you, Doctor.
Here are the answers to your questions:

1. They are small quantities of clear liquid, sometimes with a slightly XXXXXX mucus. I have a large quantity of stool (mostly diarrhea) in the morning.
2. No, it is odorless.
3. Generally I do not get up from sleep for a bowel movement.
4. Some weight loss, yes. maybe 4-5 pounds in last six weeks.
5. Yes. I had tests for bacteria and parasites done several weeks ago. They came back negative.
6. I was on Cipro antibiotics for 5 days until I got the test results back and then I stopped taking it. I did not improve the condition.
7. No medical illness. I am a fit, healthy, non-smoking 30 year old male.

Hope this helps. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 hours later
You have chronic diarrhea with alarm symptoms like weight loss. So it needs further evaluation. The following need to be done -

1. Upper GI endoscopy with duodenal biopsy
2. Colonoscopy
3. Stool test

Since chronic diarrhea can be due to umpteen number of causes , these tests should be done before you can know about the possible cause, further tests and treatment.

If there are no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini