Having chronic cough daily, tickle in throat and chest. Diagnosed as laryngopharyngeal reflux and hyperinflation shown in X-ray. Advise?

General Surgeon
I am a 72 year old female who has smoked for more than 50 years. My problem is a chronic productive cough daily, clearing of the throat, post nasal drip and a tickle in my throat & chest, also some wheezing & shortness of breath for the past six months or so. I was diagnosed with laryngopharyngeal reflux and prescribed Prilosec 40mg daily about 1 year ago & told I should see a gastroenterologist for upper & lower GI series, which I never did. I also got a Yorkshire Terrier puppy around the time the problem began. I have had chest x-rays showing hyperinflation of the lungs, a clean Heart XXXXXXX Along with the Prilosec, I was prescribed Spiriva by my GP which I only feel the need to use about every 2 to 3 weeks. I intend to make an appt. with a local Pulmonologist but would like your opinion.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These changes are common in smokers

Detailed Answer:
As you have smoked for 50 years,your lungs got damaged.
Productive cough indicates infection in the lungs.You should take a good respiratory antibiotic.
You need an inhaler with steroid in it.It is better to use it daily until you are free.
You should take a syrup/tablet which contains Bronchodilator and mucolytic.
The symptoms that you have mentioned are due to respiratory disease,not of gut.
I don't think you need a gastroenterologist.
Better to XXXXXXX a pulmonologist.Get a CT scan chest for correct and complete diagnosis.
If you come back after the appointment,i will clarify further.
Please do breathing will help you a lot.
Avoid cool products,cool climate
Wish you good health