Having chills, body aches, sore throat, nausea and fatigue. What is it?

Pediatrician
Question
I have recently started to get symptoms of a cold but I think do have the symptoms of the flu such as: chills, body aches, sore throat, nausea and fatigue. Should I see a doctor and what kind of medication would you recommend?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
relax

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Symptoms you mentioned could be upper respiratory infection which is mostly viral in nature but could be bacterial as well.

I suggest you to do following:
-take acetaminophen every 6hourly
-take antiallergic like benadryl or cetrizine.
-do saline gargles 3to 4 times a day.
-take plenty of fluids,warm liquids will be soothing.
-also take soft bland diet so as to maintain nutrition.
-take complete bed rest.

In case symptoms persist after 48hours or you develop any new symptom like fever,cough I suggest you to get yourself examined by doctor for further management.

Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question .

God bless...

Follow-up: Having chills, body aches, sore throat, nausea and fatigue. What is it? 6 minutes later
I have just been taking Beecham's Ultimate Cold & Flu tablets, will these help? Plus, I do eat a very healthy diet at this moment in time. Which fruits and vegetables would you recommend on eating?
I have also been suffering from a blocked nose since yesterday morning too and dry flaky skin around my eyes which flared up really baldly on Friday morning. What could this be besides the other symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you can take

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

Yes you can take these tablets 2 to 3 times a day.

This is good that tou are taking nutritious diet..

In fruits you can take almost any fruit.
Papaya and XXXXXXX is preferred.

Take lemon tea as well.

Hope this helps.

Take care...

The kind of fruits I've been eating are oranges, red grapefruits, strawberries, apricots and blueberries. I've also been consuming chicken soup to help soothe my symptoms. Will eating these foods help too?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes of course..

Continue with these fruits.

Increase fluid intake...and in addition to chicken soup also take vegetable soup.

You will be fine in couple of days.

Take care..