Having chest pain, shortness of breath and pounding of heart. How to get relief?

I've been to the er with chest pains shortness of breath and pouding of heart that I can feel all over. They gave me a cgt scan of mychest, said it was fine, took blood and ekg, said everything was normal. My heart rate was high but lowered after receiving fluids. I'm home but my heart is still pouding and I can't sleep because of it. I don't know what else to do to stop it I'm going crazy
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms could be indicative of panic attacks. Panic attacks can typically present with sudden onset of breathing difficulty, pounding of the heart, chest tightness or pain, sweating, etc. Considering your young age and the fact that all medical evaluations, including an ECG and CGT scan were negative, this seems to be the most likely possibility. The heart pounding which you still seem to be having may be due to the residual anxiety or 'anticipatory' anxiety of getting another attack, which is also typically seen in panic disorder. Remember that anxiety disorders can manifest with not only psychological symptoms, but with physical symptoms also, and panic attacks are a good example for this.

I would advise you consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment. There are effective treatment options available which will keep help control your symptoms, as well as prevent further such attacks.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist