Having chest pain, overweight. Is normal blood pressure an indication of normal cholesterol levels?

If your blood pressure is good, is that a good sign that you probably don't have high cholesterol? I have gotten a few sharp cheast pains that last for no more than a couple minutes, and I'm not doing anything to exsert myself.. I also sometimes get a swishing sensation just above my left breast. I quit smoking 8 mos. Ago and quit drinking 2years ago and I'm not very active at all. I'm about 30lbs overweight too and carry it all in the belly area.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 24 minutes later

From your history I understand that you currently have chest pain. You are currently overweight, have a previous history of smoking and drinking and you currently not physically very active.

I would like to comment the following:

1. A normal blood pressure does not necessarily mean that you don't have high cholesterol levels.

2. Considering your history of left sided chest pain, obesity, previous smoking and drinking history and current physical inactivity, you need to get your cardiac evaluation done by a cardiologist - It includes ECG, Tread mill test / stress echocardiography and serum lipid profile.

3. You need to continue to refrain from smoking and drinking. I congratulate you that you have inculcated this healthy lifestyle now.

4. Also you need to introduce some form of physical activity in your lifestyle. You can start by doing some light exercises daily for about half an hour.

5. You should increase the intake of fresh fruits in your diet.

6. You can get your diet tailor-made for you by a professional dietician keeping in mind the need for weight reduction. This facility is available on website of XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered your queries. Please accept my answer if there are no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra