Having chest pain only in morning. Should I be concern?

Hi there,

I am wondering whether you can help.

Almost every morning i wake up with chest pains. They are not terrible but enough to stop me being able to fall back to sleep and i cannot find any comfortable position.

About 5 minutes after i get out of bed the pain completely disappears and that is the last i hear of it until the next morning.

I am 5"7 tall and weigh around 87 kg.

I exercise mainly once a week by doing a lot of swimming on a Monday night but even when I swim really fast i do not get any pain at all, it is literally just when I wake up.

I have been to my local GP who told me that he is not particularly worried however I would like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanking you in advance,
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

If you could 'do a lot of swimming', then there is probably no significant heart or lung disease...
If it is only related to posture, Oesophagus / spine may have to be looked at.
A reflux from stomach, as in Hiatus hernia for example, can be confirmed by Upper G I Endoscopy
MRI of thoracic spine may shoe deformity and nerve compression, if any

Clinical examination, followed by routine blood tests, EKG and Chest X-ray should be the first step. At times, ECHO, sleep studies may be in order...
Reducing the weight and sleeping with head-end elevated may help

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Having chest pain only in morning. Should I be concern? 7 minutes later
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

It is not posture related because I have been to sleep sometimes in the afternoon and when i wake up the pain is not there. It is only in the morning.

I am not 100% sure but it could be that the only day this doesn't happen is the morning after swimming. Does this make any sense at all?

Would you suggest i insist on these checks now or should i leave it for a bit and see what happens?

Someone suggested taking ibuprofen for a period of time. Could this be true?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 17 minutes later

Ibuprofen is a NSAID)
It may give symptomatic relief in skeletal muscle pain.

It doesn't sound reasonable - not to occur after a day of strenuous effort
It could be Psychological relief / or you were too tired to notice...

If it does not interfere with your life style, there may not be any harm to wait and watch...

Follow-up: Having chest pain only in morning. Should I be concern? 24 hours later
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan,

Thank you for your reply.

I did a lot of swimming last night and firstly did not have any pain during or after swimming.

I woke up this morning and definitely noticed a difference. Although i felt a slight discomfort it was a lot better than other days strangely. I was able to find a comfortable position and fall back to sleep. Could there be an explanation for this?

Kind regards,
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later

Glad to know that you had a good night...

The simple strain of physical activity might have relaxed a skeletal muscle...
A particular posture could have caused the spasm / and relieved it too...

Exercise induces neuro-endocrine hormones (endorphins is an example) - that cause sensation of well being....people get addicted to exercise!

Have early dinner / do regular exercise / all will be well

All the best