Having chest pain due to acidity. Feeling relief after taking gelocil or pudinhara. Getting burps. Advise?

Dear Doctor,
i have accidity problem....some times i get chest pain also because of accidity when i take gelocil or pudinhara then only i get relief. i keep getting burps.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Change your lifestyle...

Detailed Answer:

Hyperacidity is a chronic condition. The current commonly used treatment only helps in treating acute symptoms. It doesn't prevent recurrence. We rely on diet and life style changes to prevent symptoms. Some of those measures that I recommend to all patients with hyperacidity are:
1. Keep weight under control.
2. Avoid spicy food.
3. Eat at regular interval. Avoid fasting and overeating.
4. Sleep adequately.
5. Indulge in physical exercise, yoga and transcendental meditation.

In addition I also prescribed proton pump inhibitor such as rabeprazole 20mg twice daily for 2 weeks. Your local doctor will know about this medicine.

You should also consider upper GI endoscopy whenever feasible to rule out peptic ulcer and H.pylori infections.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.