Having chest pain below clavicle. Could it be an artery blockage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yes, I have been having chest pain below my clavicle, above my right breast for a 3-4 months. It usually comes on when I bend over to the right. I have recently had a mammogram. I have been told it could be stress or anxiety. I am wondering about my artery? I am wondering if it could be an artery blockage. I have been told it costs a lot of money to do a stress test and it really wouldn't be worth it unless the pain was server
Thank you so much. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
The symptoms of heart attack or arterial blockage include squeezing type of chest pain mostly on the left side with sweating, shortness of breath and nausea/vomiting. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
The pain on right side below the clavicle is likely to be due to-
Musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

GERD: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs.

Panic attacks or anxiety: This is a condition that is seen in hyperthyroid patients with anxiety related symptoms. This can also present with chest pain, breathlessness and other generalized symptoms. This condition can be confused with cardiac problems.

It is important to find out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.