Having chest pain. EKG and blood test done. What could be the problem?

Hi I have chest pain now for three weeks. EKG fine .. blood test AST at 57 . having a liver ultrasound tomorrow. what are they looking for???
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 32 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

There are three things to consider in your query here:

1. Chest pain/heart condition - which looks fine initially since your EKG is good.

2. Breast Cancer - 7 years, hence tests are mostly aimed at locating secondaries that may occur in liver and bone due to the breast cancer primary.

3. AST - enzyme elevation. 2 reasons - one, a cardiac tissue injury marker in the case you had history of heart condition. Two, due to liver cell injury due to secondaries being deposited due to the breast cancer.

So, an ultrasound would pinpoint any lesions otherwise. And follow up scans advised at least once/twice yearly for the same purpose. In that case, treatment is also aimed at secondaries in the same way or as appropriate as the primary site (breast) had been managed till now.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.