Having chest pain. ECG normal. Started abdominal pain with burning sensation. What's wrong?

Question
I had been having chest pain in December and had an ECG in January that came back ok. Continued to have chest pain and in the last month have been feeling more abdominal pain. Mostly in the lower rib area on the left, but sometimes on the right side, nothing really in the middle. It is a burning sensation. Sometimes it comes and goes.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are suggestive of acid peptic disease. The reflux of acid from the stomach into the food pipe (esophagus) can result in pain behind the sternum similar to chest pain.

A endoscopy by your doctor after physical examination will help in diagnosis.

Proton pump inhibitors and H2 blockers like Ranitidine help in reduction of acid production and help in amelioration of symptoms.

In addition to the medications various life style changes described below will help you.

1. Do some exercises.....may be a walk.
2. Reduce stress.
3. Have your meal at the right time... do not miss breakfast.
4. Avoid over eating and fatty foods.
5. Reduce spicy foods, coffee, tea etc.
6. Avoid drugs causing gastritis like pain killers
7. Relaxation exercises like Yoga, breathing exercise, listening to music, playing with children etc. would help.
8. Pray God and look at the positive things in life.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Having chest pain. ECG normal. Started abdominal pain with burning sensation. What's wrong? 8 minutes later
So then the burning pain I have in my lower rib area on both sides, is that suggestive of a stomach ulcer? The burning pain in that area has become more and more frequent throughout the day. I don't seem to notice a difference if I have eaten or not.

Thanks for writing back.

It may be a lesion ranging from simple erosion to an ulcer. Only a endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis. Also a trial of antacid by your doctor will help in diagnosis. The pain may be present any where from the navel to sternum. Peptic ulcer symptoms are worse when stomach is empty but the symptoms vary from patient to patient.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.