Having chest pain. All medical test normal. Prescribed celexa for gerd and anxiety. Concerned

Question
Heartlast month i started having chest pain and went to the er. They did a chest xray, troponin test, ekg, and cbc along wita ultrasound of chest and abdomin. the dr told me that all test were normal and i could consider myself throughly checked and i should have peace of mind that my heart was ok. She said i have gerd and anxiety and placed me on celexa and prilosec. I have only been on celexa for a week now and my stomach is upset and my chest is hurting again. is it possible with allllll the test she did i could have a heart problem? should i be conserned? she said based on my age being 30...dnt smoke or drink and all the test negative that there is nothing wrong with heart and my ekg is gorgeous. should i ne concered?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is natural to be concerned when experiencing chest pain. An
ECG can detect abnormal rhythms, areas of the heart that are not receiving enough blood due to blockage in the coronary blood supply, any blockage along the normal conducting pathway of the heart and any evidence of enlargement.
Chest pain due to heart disease occurs when the demand for blood in the heart does not match its supply, this occurs because of blockage of the blood vessels. This blockage, as mentioned earlier, would be picked up on ECG.
Troponin is also one of the best indicators of cardiac damage and rises very early if any injury occurs to the heart, the fact that it was normal is reassuring.
Though everybody is different, the fact that the above results are normal means that it is unlikely that you have cardiac disease.

Celexa is in the SSRI family and nausea is a known side effect of this family of drugs. Generally it is worse in the first 2 weeks of using the drug and subsides after this.
In addition to the medication, you need to try lifestyle measures to help with the acid reflux.
These would include avoiding large meals, avoiding fatty/fried/spicy/acidic food, waiting 2 hrs after eating before lying down, weight loss if necessary. Elevating the head of the bed may also be helpful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having chest pain. All medical test normal. Prescribed celexa for gerd and anxiety. Concerned 7 minutes later
so with all these test being negative including...ekg....cbc....tropinin...chest xray....is it safe to say i have had a complete cardio exam and there is no need to worry?

Hi, there are other cardiac investigations like an echo but these would only be indicated if the other examinations had demonstrated an abnormality.

Those investigations, if completely normal, would make it unllikely the pain is cardiac in origin.

Feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Having chest pain. All medical test normal. Prescribed celexa for gerd and anxiety. Concerned 16 minutes later
and they are were gorgeous so the dr said
so with that being said should my mind be at ease

Yes, it should be.
I wish you the best

Feel free to ask any other questions