Having chest discomforts, burning sensation in heart area and breathing problems. Hyatle Hernia that is causing this problem?

I have been having problems with chest discomforts,burning sensation in my heart area, burping very much,some breathing problems - - -I am under a doctor's care for congestive heart failure,I do not think it is my heart, but a Hyatle Hernia that is causing this problem. What do you think?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hiatus hernia can worsen symptoms of GERD

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hiatus hernia occurs when a portion of the stomach into the chest through an opening in the diaphragm.

Hiatus hernia are relatively common and in themselves do not cause symptoms. It may make a person more likely to experience reflux or worsen their present symptoms.

The reflux symptoms would be the symptoms that you are presenting with burning in the chest, burping and chest discomfort.

It should not cause shortness of breath however, this aspect of your symptoms is most likely related to your heart disease.

Treatment is normally the same as treating for GERD in most persons unless the hernia presents as a surgical emergency.
This means the use of medication such prevacid, prilosec, nexium, aciphex.

In addition to medication lifestyle changes would also help:small frequent meals, reduced use of fatty/fried/spicy/citrus foods, reduced chocolate/mint/tomato.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions