Having chest discomfort and feeling dizzy. Medical test normal. Chances of heart attack?

i always have chest discomfort, dizzy spells and think im having a heart attack. i just had a stress test,echo and a CT contrast heart test which all came back normal but continue to get pains, im now having pressure in my sinus area,clogged ears,chest pains,tingling in my body and my stomach burns and it travels thru my body i wanna go for more tests at the clevland heart center
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
I read your mail with diligence.
If all the tests you have written have come as normal you are not having coronary artery disease leading to heart attack.
Symptoms can be caused by your sinus disease and an additional disease needs to be excluded is cervical spondylosis (which can be done by your doctor by x-ray or scan of cervical spine).
Can you describe chest pain in detail because the mitral valve prolapse can give rise to chest pain of benign nature?
Looking forward to hear from you. Good Luck.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Having chest discomfort and feeling dizzy. Medical test normal. Chances of heart attack? 11 hours later
the pain is in my left side, its a pressure pain that comes and comes and rarely moves, i have had chest xrays, sinus xrays all negative i excercise daily and i never have pain while im excercising , i keep reading reports online about people who have had pains all tests came back normal and 2 weeks later they have heart attacks is there a test u recommend that can put my mind to ease, hows this new plaque blood test? they gave my xanax but if i feel i have a heart issue i dont wanna mask it with drugs
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
You are right about negative tests and people having heart attacks. However, something is positive in them too. World Health Organization has decided to for diagnosis of heart attack one has to fulfill two of these criteria (and most of cardiologists agree)
1. Typical pain that is mid line central suffocating may radiate to neck and left arm, always associated with some shortness of breath (may also be associated with sweating palpitation)

2. Typical ECG changes if one is normal subsequent ECG may show changes

3. Elevation of enzymes like myoglobin, creatine phospho kinase MB fragment, Troponin T or Troponin I levels

You will agree that these are not satisfied by the pains you have had. In case of doubt you can still consult your doctor again or seek a second opinion. For heart attack due to coronary artery disease is a serious disease and all doubts should be settled. If you have any other question, I will be most happy to answer. Regarding other tests you must undergo are (apart from thorough physical examination) Treadmill Test (if your ECG is normal), Lipid Profile, Fasting Blood Sugar and other tests suggested by the doctor who examines you. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover

Follow-up: Having chest discomfort and feeling dizzy. Medical test normal. Chances of heart attack? 8 minutes later
do you think with my ct scan, stress echo and echo test i can rule out heart attack and its a mental thing at this point?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 20 minutes later
Hi there,
At this point because of your repetition of symptoms despite normal test I would not hesitate to treat you a suspect and do the tests listed in the reply again.
If that gives normal outcome I would try to find cause somewhere in neuro muscular region as I wrote in first email. It is not mental it is somatic.

Dr Anil Grover