Having chest congestion and cold. No relief from zifi and sinarest. Safe remedy?

Hello doc. I have been suffering chest congestion nd cold since 4 days . i have been eating zifi200 nd sinarest ccf. i dont seem to have progressed much . please help nd guide. thanx
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Cold and chest congestion are commonly caused by a viral infection and it may take 5 to 7 days to be cured. Normally in such situations antibiotics are not required.

The steps to be taken are..
- Take steam inhalation 2 to 3 times a day.
- Drink warm liquids like hot water,hot soups,hot tea and coffee.
- Avoid cold drinks.

You should be alright in next 4 to 5 days.

If you feel that your congestion has increased or if you develop fever ,then you might need consultation with your doctor and possibly some investigations. Keep continuing the current medications for at least 3 days more. You should feel better soon.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.