Having chest cold and nasal drainage. Prescribed antibiotics. Have headache and extreme fatigue. What does this indicate?

I'm 68 years old - male. For the last 4 or 5 months, I've struggled with and deep chest cold and lots of nasal drainage. I went to my doctor and he gave me anitibiotics - and it did seem to easy my cough and breathing problems. However, for about 3 months - in the evening hours - I get very cold and shiver and can't get warm - yet I have a low-grade fever. I've had headaches and extreme fatigue. I urinate much more frequently and my urine had a foul odor.
I don't smoke, or drink alcohol - and live quite healthy. I'm a rancher and work outside with cattle most of the time. These are my symptoms -- what do you think is wrong with me?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

I see that you are a rancher and work with the cattle most of the time. Your symptoms for the last 3 months indicate a probable zoonosis acquired from the ranch.

Brucellosis is the commonest of them all. It could be leptospira as well.

You need to immunize the cattle against these diseases. You need to restrict your physical activity as well and try use to more stringent protective measures while working with the cattle.

Doxycycline works effectively in such kind of zoonoses. You may want to consider using it for a couple of weeks. You must consult an Infectious diseases specialist and discuss about these options.

It is important that you are diagnosed and treated rightly for this.

I hope this piece of information leads you to some line of thought. Please proceed accordingly.

Get well soon.