Having chemotherapy for lymphoma. Found terminal lymphoma. What to do?

I beat skin cancer in january and 3 weeks later found out that I had lymphoma, i had been getting chemo but last week I found out that I am teminal. I got a second opinion and they also said terminal. What do I do? Should I continue treatment and hope for a miracle?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later

I must admit, I admire your courage and search despite being told that you have a terminal lymphoma.
Treatment options are designed to cure and as well to reduce complications and improve quality of life. However, these treatment options have severe side effects that can even endanger the life of the patient in widely disseminated disease.

So, I will advice you stick with and discuss with your treating oncologist on other treatment options or protocols while considering every little chance you have but also remembering that treatment also should improve your quality of life.

Hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for any further query.

Best regards and much courage.
Follow-up: Having chemotherapy for lymphoma. Found terminal lymphoma. What to do? 4 hours later
What other treatment options are available? I am still having chemotherapy and I had radiotherapy a while ago. Is there any operations I can have or experimental options?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 45 minutes later

Another possible option is a stem cell transplant which could be effective in treating lymphomas especially when other options have failed.

There are different protocols for chemotherapy (containing different combinations of drugs), some of which are under clinical trial (experiment) but are location dependent. As earlier mentioned, all protocols have side effects which could be severe in case of disseminated disease. You should discuss with your oncologist on other chemotherapy protocols in your setting and their side effects and on possible stem cell transplant.

Surgical operations are not a treatment option for lymphoma.

If you do not need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best regards and much courage.