Having chemical pregnancy. Have high FSH, low AMH. Had abortion. Can I be pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
I'm having a second chemical pregnancy this month. last month, i had one as well at 4.5 weeks. this month is the same 4.5. weeks. i have all the symptoms after conception, and then they disappear and my period comes half a week late.

i'm very worried this is a sign i'll never conceive again and am crying right now.

my history...
i have high FSH (15) and low AMH and diminished ovarian reserve. but i conceived my daughter on my first try in January 2011. She's 1.5 years old. I also had a natural twin pregnancy seven months ago but unfortunately I chose to have an abortion because the partner was manipulative. I had an abortion at the end of November at 13 weeks.

I'm so worried I will never have another child. Please give me hope. I'm only 31. What if all my times trying now end in chemical pregnancies? What could cause this?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Biochemical Pregnancy is not decided only by symptoms. You need some proof as urine pregnancy test or serum beta hCG. So these two instances of delayed periods may not be pregnancies at all.

2) Since you are quoting high FSH and low AMH, delayed periods could possibly indicate you are approaching premature menopause ( only possibility).

3) Hence I advice you to visit an infertlity specialist or IVF centre to count antral follicle count ( AFC). These are better predictors of ovarian reserve along with the blood tests you mentioned.

4) Since you had natural pregnany seven months ago you still stand chance of pregnancy. Hence please visit an IVF cente for detailed evaluation of your reproductive health and answers.

5) IVF centre docotrs will prescribe medicines for high XXXXXXX values which might lead to abortions.
I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Having chemical pregnancy. Have high FSH, low AMH. Had abortion. Can I be pregnant? 1 hour later

I have been doing fertility treatments, just natural cycle IUIs with donor sperm because I'm single.

Last month at 4 weeks my beta was 8. Then I miscarried at 4.5 weeks. This month, HCG beta is 10. Now I my period is just a few days late again.

I did a follicle count last year and it was 7 or 8.

I'm not sure what it is this year.

Do you think there is still hope or are two chemical pregnancies in a row a bad sign?

Note: I may have messed up the timing of the IUI because I didn't use LH surge kits. Last month, I had an IUI 20 hours after ovulation. This month, I had the IUI 48 hours before ovulation. I know this because I have a pain during ovulation and spot of blood each month. I went in at bad times because of work situation.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later

Thanks for additional information.

Following is my reply:

1) Beta hCG less than 10 is not considered as a pregnancy. Hence your delayed periods may not be pregnancies at all.

2) Please repeat antral follicle count this year and corelate them with AMH and FSH values.

3) Ovulation time can be timed by hCG injection trigger after doing follicular growth scan. Hence I advice you get follicular growth scan done and time ovulation with injection as per your work schedule.

I hope you are clear now.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Having chemical pregnancy. Have high FSH, low AMH. Had abortion. Can I be pregnant? 3 days later

do you think my chemical pregnancies could have been caused by poor timing (the egg was deteriorating and/or the sperm was too old after 48 hours)?

my doctor recommended the saline infusion ultrasound to examine my uterus. i'm worried about this test and my fertility. is the test safe? does it cause endometrioi or infection?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later

As i conveyed earlier, I dont consider it was a chemical pregnancy as it was not confirmed by blood test or urine test.

Saline infusion sonography is a safe test. No need to worry. It will be performed with antibiotic cover and hence less chances of infection. It is done after your bleeding has stopped. Hence less chances of transmitting endometriosis either.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & infertility Specialist