Having calf pain, numbness on thigh. Hurts to walk. Ultrasound done for DVT. Cause and cure?

Nov 2013

It's been over a a year I had complaints of lower calf pain on both legs . Had ultrasounds done for DVT and been to ER nervous times for lower leg cramping thinking it was low potassium . Well it's been over a year and I had MRI lumbar spine and EmG done and seems to be nEgative . I am getting concerned because the tips of my thighs are getting a numb. It feels right and numbing . With lower calls pain also . I do gel in the back of knee cap a tendon or nerve that when I touch it hurts, it runs up to the thigh along the side if knee if that has anything to do with it. I am very concerned because I am afraid one day I won't be able to move or breathe if it travels. Could that happen? What could this be . Once I lay down my lower legs hurt but not to bad on walking . I do not exercise and have done nothing to injure legs. This calf pain about a year or XXXXXXX and thigh numbness comes and goes about a twice it happened this week . Please help me .
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not due to any serious underlying disease, as all investigations so far are normal.

Normal MRI of lumbar spine has excluded a disc bulge and pinched nerve at the lower back. A normal ENMG has excluded a nerve disease (neuropathy). DVT has also been excluded.

As of now, it seems to be due to myalgia or fibromyalgia, where pain is a prominent symptom. If serum CPK blood test has not been done, then, please get it done. It would help in making sure it is not muscle inflammation.

Please also get the levels of vitamin B12 and vitamin D checked, as their deficiency can cause similar symptoms.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist