Having burning tongue sensation after eating peanut butter. Do I need to be concerned?

Feb 2013

I find that after eating peanut butter or Reeces peanut butter cups, I experience 'burning tongue sensation.' This is NEW.............I've always eaten peanut products without any issues. Do I need to be concerned?..........I'm 70 year old woman.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The concerning thing about an local allergic food reaction of tongue to peanuts.

It seems you acquired an allergic tendency to the peanuts.

This might be the reason for the burning tongue sensation after eating peanut butter or Reeces peanut butter cups.

Even though you didn't experience any problematic issues after eating peanut products in the past, there are chances of developing peanut allergy later.

It is looking like a recently developed allergic reaction to the peanut products.

I advise you to completely avoid the peanut based products from your diet and be vigilant strictly before eating any product.

If the tongue burning sensation persists or any other concerning symptoms like difficulty in breathing and swallowing, chest tightness, swelling of the tongue, lips, and cough develops consult the doctor immediately for the examination and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

I wish you good health.