Having burning stomach with swallowing difficulty for specific food. What could be the reason?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have a question: ok these are my symptoms , 9 months ago I had burning in my stomach and regurgitation of food every time I ate I lost 10 pounds during my pregnancy.. Now I still regurgitate every time I eat but not as much I also have trouble worse when I eat chocolate , orange juice, tomatoes eggs.. I am at the point where I am now unable to swallow it is impossible to get a peice of food down I just drink protein shakes mostly and watered down applesauce I need help . My appt is finally on the 31st and am wondering what this could be and I'd there is any treatment I can be doing to help in the mean time ? It gets worse as the food gets lower to the bottom where it enters my stomach it just starts trying to squeeze through and is incredibly painful (hense the reason I don't eat much now) any suggestions ? Thanks the swallowing started after the constant regurgitation after a period of 6 months or so..
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of acid reflux disease. It is a condition in which the stomach content gets refluxed upwards in to the esosphagus.
It gets worsened during pregnancy and also when you eat the food items you have mentioned.
OTC prilosec would provide relief.
The following should also be done for complete relief.
1. Weight reduction if obese
2. Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, chocolates, carbonated beverages, smoking, alcohol
3. Avoid eating large meals. Eat smaller frequent meals.
4. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more question, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having burning stomach with swallowing difficulty for specific food. What could be the reason? 57 minutes later
Yes , would the swallowing problem and the inflamation of my lower esophageous also heal on this medication? And could I have an infection like pylori ? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
Yes, the inflammation of the lower esophagus and the swallowing problem will resolve with medication. But I would suggest you to undergo an upper GI endoscopy to rule out other causes of difficulty in swallowing.

H.pylori infection can cause some of these symptoms. Get yourself tested for H.pylori infection also.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having burning stomach with swallowing difficulty for specific food. What could be the reason? 40 hours later
Hello , I am taking ompezropole now and the capsules are to big for me to swallow .. Can I open them up and put them in applesauce?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Yes, you can open the capsule and mix the granules with applesauce. Dont crush or chew the granules. Drink it immediately.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini