Ask a Urologist   »  

Having burning sensation while passing urine. Diagnosed with Non Specific Urethritis. Took doxycycline.

Sep 2012

Hi There, I went to a sexual XXXXXXX clinic as my symptoms were mild burning senstation when passing urine. I have no discharge from my penis at all. Intial tests on the day came back negative although they did say I showed some bacteria from a swab taken so they diagnosed me with Non Specific Urethritis. I am half way through a 7 day treatment of doxycycline. I am due back some addioanl results Tuesday for results on test taken on the day that takes more time to obtain. Today though my testicals are aching badly and I have a discomfort across my lower bladder area, making me a little feel nausious. I wanted to ask if this was normal and does this just mean the antibiotics are working. I'm just worried as today is the first day I have had this localised pain. I also wanted to know can a NSU be picked up from anything other than sexual contact?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

Look, in case of nonspecific urethritis, the pain and nausea are quite common. They are the symptoms of the disease.

They do not indicate that the antibiotic is working.

For this pain, you can take an antispasmodic agent like dicyclomine group of drug and an ondansetron group of drug for nausea. They will prevent this type of pain and nausea.

So, right now, you have to complete the course. After that do a repeat swab examination.

Now, this nonspecific urethritis occurs due to 3 bacteria. Most commonly encountered agent is chlamydia. It is generally transmitted through sexual contact. Any other transmission is not common.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Having burning sensation while passing urine. Diagnosed with Non Specific Urethritis. Took doxycycline. 47 hours later
Hi, the discomfort and need to pass urine has been getting worse. Discomfort in my bladder and now around my testies. I only have one days doxycycline left out of a 7 day dose. Does this mean I need to ask for more medication? Should I be expecting to feel better at this stage? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, you are right, you should expect relief in this stage.

But, your symptoms are indicative of worsening of the situation. So, you have to consult with your treating doctor for ordering a culture and sensitivity test.

If found sensitive, intravenous injection of broad spectrum antibiotic like ceftriaxone group of drug should be considered.

So, consult with your treating doctor immediately.