Having burning sensation under clavicle. Is this serious?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello I have a stinging/ burning slughtly painfulsensation right under my right clavicle. It started yesyerday and it is constant . It feels more superficial . The overlying skin seems normal. No itchiness . I'm just very aware of it. I have to touch it all the time. Please tell me if it is serious thank you..
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
there are few possible causes. most of them are benign. it can always be pectoralis muscle pulling especially if pain is aggravated by moving arm in shoulder.
secondly,brachial blood vessels and nerves pass through this area. if you have arm swelling, loss of sensation and tingling in arm or loss of pulsations you should visit doctor.also if you have breathing difficulties and sharp pain while breathing this can be sign of pneumothorax.
third thing are subcutaneous lesions such as lipoma,fibroma or evaluate this you should do ultrasound and needle aspiration perhaps.
all in all i suggest to take nonsteroid painkillers and see will pain progress. if yes, do tests i ve mentioned.
If you have any question i am free to ask.wish you good health.