Having burning sensation on eye. Temporary relief from genteal gel. Looking for permanent cure

My eyes give a lot of burning sensation a lot now a days.Consulted an Opthalmologist, they prescribed Genteal Gel twice a day. Since there is dryness in eyes.
The burning sensation seems to go away for sometime when i apply genteal.but it comes back in 3 to 4 hours.I work in a software company where i spend around 7hours in front of a computer.
One of my friend told me to tr FishEye oil as they help to reduce dryness by increasing tear circulation.
Please suggest
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Naseem 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your question here.

Someone with a profession such as yours where you are exposed to constant use of the computer coupled with reduced blinking common while concentrating, the resulting tear film deficiency can cause a burning sensation in the eyes.

You are using a tear supplement eye drop preparation, Genteal eye drops, but it needs to be used very frequently sometimes around 5 to 6 times a day for at least 10 days for the effect to be obvious. This is the reason why the symptoms are controlled partly with genteal eye drop.

I appreciate your friend's advice, however fish eye oil is not available for ophthalmic use. Therefore do not use them or anything else in your eyes. Moreover such preparations are not sterilized adequately and hence cause more harm than good.

I would suggest you to try using lubricating eye ointment like Lacrigel at bedtime to enhance the symptomatic relief.

In the event of the presence of any other factors causing dry eye like a blepharitis or meibomitis which is an eyelid infection, this needs treatment also to make the burning go away and not return. This is common in people with an oily skin type.

Lastly, but quite importantly, try to practise certain preventive methods while at work like consciously blink often during computer use. If you have an air conditioned environment, reduce your exposure to it. In your car, keep the AC vent away from your face to reduce tear drying and use protective eye wear when exposed to constant wind rushing on your face.

Hope this helps. Do get back with anything more I can help you with.