Having burning sensation in throat and congestion after swallowing. Cure?

Burning sensation in the throat and throat congestion after swallowing a chewing gum. Tingling sensation in the chest. Is it in my lungs?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 3 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Burning sensation in throat could be due to continuous chewing of gum or due to congestion of throat as a result of subclinical throat infection which could be a coincidence. Dryness of throat can also result in burning sensation. Most probably, you would have swallowed the gum.

Foreign body in lungs usually gets lodged in the right main bronchus due to its anatomical position. In which case it causes aspiration. But, aspiration of gum in to the lung results in continuous/ intermittent cough, irritation or burning sensation in chest with difficulty in breathing. Since you don't have cough, the possibility of aspiration may not be there.

The chewing gum could have got stuck in the upper part of throat (naso pharynx). Although this is a rare possibility, it can result in burning sensation and also this could be the possible reason for tingling sensation. Try gargling with warm drinking water. If it is in throat, it may come out.

You should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist. Indirect laryngoscopy and examination of nasopharynx with post nasal mirror will confirm if the gum is still there.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.