Having burning sensation in liver and spleen area. Took medicine along with red wine. Worrisome

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a burning sensation in liver area and spleen area. (had gallbladder removed 2 mths ago). I take 5 htp, l theanine, l lysine, vitamin c, b complex, fish oil and multivitamin. I drink 2-3 glasses red wine almost daily. I stopped drinking as of two days ago. I am concerned with this sensation. I take the 5 htp and l theanine for depresion and anxiety. I would like to know what could possibly be causing this, if I am aggravating it with any of the supplements, what would you recommend.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I d like to know is this pain getting worse after meal or it is constant. Do you experience the same pain that you have had before surgery? It shouldnt be related to surgery if 2 months have passed.
Pain in these areas can be due to liver and spleen enlargement( some infectious and haematological diseases can causa it) and its size should be checked using ultrasound. SIde effects of these suplements are rare but aminoacids sometimes can cause liver enzyme elevation and liver enlargement.
Try to disregard these medicines for 1 week and see is there imrovement, do ultrasounds,basica lab and liver enzymes test and depending on results plan further treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"