Having burning sensation in chest and stomach, Vitamin B-12 deficiency. On medication. Symptoms still persisting. Treatment?

I am 32 yrs old (male-5.8 inches, 61 kg). I am currently under medication for burning sensation in stomach & chest / deficiency of B-12 for last 3 months, continuing for another month. So far not much relief from ailment. Request you to let me know the required medication.

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later

Based on history you have provided, I think you are suffering from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). This is usually secondary to a defective sphincter muscle (either lax or compromised by a hiatus hernia) which allows the stomach contents to come up and injure the lower esophagus.

Management includes investigations like Upper GI Endoscopy to look at these factors and look for remedial measures as well as a proton pump inhibitor and a prokinetic drugs.

Vit B12 deficiency is either due to poor intake (seen in pure vegetarians), stomach or ileal problems, or worms in bowels or some medical conditions causing excess consumption of vit B12. If it is a gastric cause you need a biopsy to rule out gastric atrophy and H pylori infection.

Hence discuss with your doctor to help you go through these and accordingly modify the treatment.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.