Having burning sensation below chest and above abdomen. Severe pain after smoking. Any relief?

Question
I am suffering from persistent burning sensation below the chest and above the abdomen. If I eat more than usual and if I smoke cigarettes burning pain increasing. Please give me suggestions to get rid of pain.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 minutes later

The symptoms that you are having are due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     Stop smoking and any alcohol consumption.

4)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

5)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor. Also then get the possibility of gall bladder disease ruled it by getting an ultrasound gall bladder done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Having burning sensation below chest and above abdomen. Severe pain after smoking. Any relief? 37 hours later
Is abdomen exercise can cause the acid reflux? Because some fat is deposited around my stomach, I working on it to reduce.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

GERD is usually after eating a heavy fatty meal and sedantry lifestyle. It can also be caused by drinking too much alcohol, prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or infection with bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). Abdominal exercise is less likely to cause GERD unless and until exercise is done shortly after eating food.