Having burning sensation around rib cage. Feeling warm to touch. What to do to get relief?

I am having an intermittent burning sensation on my ride side around my rib cage. It is not particularly painful, and lasts 5 to 10 seconds, then goes away. It does not seem related to whether I've eaten or any particular position. It feels as though I have a heating pad there or have spilled something hot on myself, but it is not warm to the touch. Feels as though it is above the ribs, not under them.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
I would like to know how long you have been experiencing these symptoms.
Indigestion alone can give rise to similar burning sensation- which can be felt around ribs, to left or towards right side.

You can try having cold milk which can reduce this sensation.
Take Omeprazole tablet 20 mg - 2 times a day- 1/2 hr before meals. Continue this medication for 1 week. However this drug requires prescription from doctor.
Reduce spicy food intake.
Have gap of 3 hrs between dinner and sleeping time.

I would like to know if you have history of trauma over ribs. If trauma is acute then also one may find similar symptoms.

Awaiting your reply.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Having burning sensation around rib cage. Feeling warm to touch. What to do to get relief? 10 minutes later
Hi, this has been going on for about a week, but seems to be more frequent the last couple of days. It seems odd that it could be related to indigestion since it feels like it is on the skin side of the ribs verses XXXXXXX It catches me off guard and makes me look to see if I've spilled something hot or leaned against something warm. I am not having any hearburn symptoms, although I've had that often in the past and have had periods when I took Prilosec for this.
Also, no trauma to the area at all. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Similar symptoms in past getting relieved with prilosec is confirming the provisional diagnosis of indigestion.
Because prilosec is antacid-proton pump inhibitor used in indigestion.

Another possibility could be skin inflammation at that area if you have rash/small boils over affected area.
Even if you have cholecystitis [gall bladder inflammation] patients can have similar symptoms but it will be more of pain associated with burning.

As your age is 46; it could be possibility that you are nearing menopause and body starts showing such vague symptoms associated with palpitation, anxiety, intolerance to heat.

I would recommend you to take prilosec again for 1 week, if symptoms still persist then you need to consult physician to rule out other underlying diseases.
I hope I have answered your doubt. Feel free to revert back in case you need further clarification.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.