Ask a Urologist   »  

Having burning sensation and irritation in penis after ejaculation. Urine test done. Can it be prostatitis?

General Surgeon
Question
i had a burning sensation after ejaculation...i used to have this kind of feeling may be once in a while that is may 3 month once or 6 months once ... this time i had the same feeling .. but this time i had some mild irritation in the penis .. i checked my urine in the lab .. there were pus cell 7-8 ... other things were normal no Bactria, no rbc and other things were negative

can it be prostraits i am 39 years old
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 42 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for nice query.     

The common cause of post ejaculation burning sensation is an inflammation of the prostate gland, so called prostatitis.

Sign and symptoms that are commonly seen with prostatitis are increased frequency of urination, burning with voiding or during or after ejaculation, burning in the penile tip after ejaculation .

During sexual arousal the prostate gland manufactures fluid known as prostatic fluid that accounts for about 2/3 of the volume of ejaculate or semen .

At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged into the urethra from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts forming the semen. if that is infected it can cause burning

Unprotected sex is also known to cause certain infection of urethra or prostate which can cause post ejaculation burning

It is very common for inflammation or infection to spread in a retrograde manner into the vas and epididymis and prostate

Too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, aggressive bike or horse back riding, and excessive spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine in the diet can predispose one to such problems

A daily warm water bath for 10-15 minutes 1-2 times daily lessens and relieves of the discomfort.

Infected prostatitis usually requires 4 week course of an appropriate antibiotic

Possibility of prostatitis can not be completely ruled out

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Having burning sensation and irritation in penis after ejaculation. Urine test done. Can it be prostatitis? 16 hours later
now i tested it by doing masturbating but I did not the burning sensation any more .....i dont have any other symptoms that are commonly seen with prostatitis.... what to do now ... my urine report reveals 7-10 puss cells ... is prostatitis some thing to worry

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 32 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Pus cells in urine are usually seen in prostatitis. I would suggest you take plenty of fluids. Also a urine culture and sensitivity needs to be done to find the organism responsible for infection. Depending upon the report, you would need an appropriate course of antibiotics

First possibility is always UTI ,prostatitis is seen but not so commonly ,so there is nothing to worry culture and sensitivity of urine is advisable

So first take treatment for simple UTI .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery