Having burning pain in ankle, small bony nodule below ankle bone. Is this just arthritis or something else?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Burning ankle painI have reoccurring burning pain on the outer part of my right ankle. I injured my ankle about 8 years ago. I was told it was just sprained. Ever since the injury I have had a small bony nodule below the ankle bone. The walk in clinic I went to for x-rays could not explain the bony bump. I sought treatment before and had physical therapy. That doctor told me I needed ankle reconstructive surgery and sent me to another doctor for a 2nd opinion. 2nd doctor said there was nothing wrong with the bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, or nerves and could not explain why I had pain. The pain is almost daily and can be relived by wearing a brace and OTC pain meds. Is this just arthritis (I am 32) our something else? Can I do further damage to the joint if I do not seek treatment?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The small lump in the area of injury seems to be due to a fibrozed hematoma. Such injuries do show inflammatory changes in times of overuse or stress. The pain seems to be related to arthritic changes only.
Taking adequate analgesics, hot fomentation and physiotherapy will help in resolution of the symptoms. Surgery is not immediately needed. This is not likely to progress and cause any joint damage in the long run.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having burning pain in ankle, small bony nodule below ankle bone. Is this just arthritis or something else? 3 days later
What is a "fibrozed hematoma"? I tried to look it up and could not find anything. I understand the hematoma part, but not the fibrozed part of it. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Hematomas are usually resolved completely. Sometimes the fibrosis or calcification which has a lesser elasticity and can become inflamed on stress.
Hot fomentation and regular physiotherapy usually help. Going for an MRI scan will help in detecting the extent of problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.