Having burning in esophagus and around valve. Will it tighten up after the inflammation and erosion start to heal get better?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Trying to get an extra advice. I had a bravo ph test and scope two months ago. Everything was pretty normal except slightly patulous valve. I was not having much reflux at that point. But the last the days I've had horrible burning in esophagus and extreme burning around valve. I was on dexilant ppi drug but after scope came off. I went back on dexilant three days ago but burning and heartburn does not seem to be getting any better. It seems like my valve and some of esophagus is raw and acid is burning it. How long does it take to see a difference in the burning pain in esophagus? Is it possible for the valve to be more open because reflux is so bad and its coming up more? And will it tighten up after the inflammation and erosions start to heal get better?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Would be around three weeks for back to normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

There are chances there is oesophagitis, yes temporarily endoscopy does makes the valve lax

I would suggest you add Sucralfate 2tsf four times a day along with PPI twice a day, once symptoms are relieved you may reduce the dose to maintainence

Avoid spicy, fermented and fried meals
Do not stoop
Sleep on your left side
Avoid lifting weight
If under stress manage it
Avoid smoking and/or alcohol if used to

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: Having burning in esophagus and around valve. Will it tighten up after the inflammation and erosion start to heal get better? 3 hours later
Can the valve retighten up? I've been on ppi for five days and its not better. Does surgical repair help with bile reflux too. Would bile burn like acid? Does bile reflux ever get better with diet and settle down on its own or with meds?
Once the reflux settles down would the valve get somewhat better?
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to Continue the same for min three weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The valve with due course will have its tone to some extent after the insult has subsided

Please Continue the treatment for a minimum of three weeks, followed by maintenance dose for another three weeks

Bile or gastric juices need medications and care as advised in previous reply to control

As told earlier it does improve after the insult has subsided

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead