Having burning in esophagus. Noticed gastritis in stomach. Possible to have pain and burning for months with no site of inflammation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm having some burning in esophagus but mostly at XXXXXXX valve. I have it worst when I bend over or pick things up. I had two scopes but both said they saw very little inflammation. They did see some gastitis in stomach on one. But is it possible to have pain and burning for months with no site of inflammation? I feel some acid coming up but can the lower burning be not as bad as it seems do to hypervisceral sensitivity? One dr said I could be having a little reflux but it seems worse because of that. What exactly is that and does it ever settle down? Also have bubbling feeling in stomach releasing air into esophagus .....
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to mild gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
You must be having a mild gastritis and reflux esophagitis. That can cause such symptoms with no inflammation on endoscopy.
It is aggravated by spicy food, oily food, smoking, tobacco of any kind, alcohol, coffee, sliding hernia which is a condition where the upper part of stomach is pulled up in the chest.

You need to avoid the above mentioned factors at all costs. Also eat small portion meals at frequent intervals rather than large heavy meals. This helps to reduce your nausea as well.

Avoid lying down immediately after a meal, rather lie down flat only after 2 hours. Till then you may lie at a recline at 45 degrees with head-end up. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated.
Taking proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole in addition to these life style modifications will help in decreasing the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having burning in esophagus. Noticed gastritis in stomach. Possible to have pain and burning for months with no site of inflammation? 47 hours later
I had a scope and bravo ph both came back fairly normal except slight patulous valve. That was 6 weeks ago. They took me off ppi meds because didn't show much acid. But just this last week I've had intense burning and sore pain around valve and slightly up. It gets way worse with bending because I can feel acid burn it when I bend. I've also had the bubbling air in stomach...could it be a sliding hernia they missed? Also could an area around valve get this bad from acid in just a week or so since six weeks ago it showed little inflammation? I got back on ppi how long on adverage does it take to heal and help gerd? Can this correct it self with good diet and ppi ever? I have poor motility and I'm scared of a wrap I've heard such bad results with swallowing. Sorry my gi doctor moved and I need advice because its inflaming and burning it so bad. Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is likely to be GERD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The burning pain that you have is not likely to be due to a sliding hernia. It is not likely to be missed.
The area can get bad due to acid even in a few week's time. Usually it takes around three weeks for the area to heal after you start taking PPIs.
With the dietary modifications and PPIs, it can heal spontaneously. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.