Having burning and itching sensation while passing motion. Prescribed Smuth ointment. Get mild stomach ache. Piles? Prevention?

Question
I have been having burning and itching sensation while passing motion. I used to have this phenomenon once in a while. Lastly, I went for a general checkup and informed the physician about the same, He has prescribed me Smuth ointment. I would like to know when can I apply them? Is it in the morning before going to toilet or at night. Also,I get mild stomach ache sometimes in the morning. I would like to understand the cause for this problem. Is this some thing to do with 'Piles'? Will this lead to surgical complications? If,so what are the good practices and diets to prevent it? Thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 46 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Smuth ointment is useful for two things: itchy rash and pain during defecation. The conditions that cause these symptoms are many. Thus, you may use when you have any of the two symptoms. I will not recommend using it in routine. If you have pain while defecation, then you may use it before passing stools. Use it when you may need it. You may use it up to two times a day.

Mild stomach ache and itching while passing motion seem to be related to an inflammation of the gut. Inflammation can be caused by some infection of the gut or by other chronic inflammatory diseases of the gut. You may try nutritious diet, fruits and vegetables, hygienic food and clean drinking water to take care of repeated gut infections.

Piles can be diagnosed on physical examination by a surgeon. Piles can cause symptoms like itching, pain and bleeding while defecation, constipation, etc. It can cause some complications like thrombosis of veins, strangulated hemorrhoids, anemia, etc. If you have constipation, you may try taking prunes up to 3 in a day. Include curd or yogurt in your diet. Drink 6 glasses of water in a day. Do not delay bowel movements.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Having burning and itching sensation while passing motion. Prescribed Smuth ointment. Get mild stomach ache. Piles? Prevention? 4 hours later
Dr Vaishalee,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I have few queries regarding the same:
1. Is my present symptom can be considered as starting stage for 'Piles' or are there not related? I am not able to differentiate them clearly. Can you please explain in detail?
2. Can you please detail me more on the diet you have suggested in the reply.
3. When I had GERD problem couple of years ago, I was advised for anti-acid drugs like panacid in the morning before food. Is it advisable to take these tablets, in case I feel stomach heaviness in the mornings?

Thanks again,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 12 hours later
Hi again

Burning sensation is one of the symptoms of piles. Thus it is possible that it is the starting point of piles. The only way to diagnose piles is by direct examination and examination with anoscope or proctoscope. Since piles feels like loose skin, you will not be able to figure it out on your own. Thus I will advice you to go to a surgeon for exact diagnosis.

For stomach pain you should also get ultrasound of whole abdomen. It will help to find the cause. Also get blood tests to rule out conditions like anemia, infections, diabetes, thyroid issues, etc. These issues may be present in the background and may present with similar symptoms.

For diet you should take nutritious and hygienic food. Include more of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Include milk, curd and yogurt at least two times a day. If constipation present, then you may try prunes and XXXXXXX juice. Avoid spicy and oily food. Drinking clean water will help you most in the long run.
In one day, take 3 proper meals and 3 small snacks. Do not take heavy meals, rather small frequent meals are better. Avoid alcohol, if you take it.

Antacids help most with acidity. They do not have much benefit for stomach pain or heaviness. I will advice against unnecessary medication. It is better to find a cause and treat it specifically.

Dr Vaishalee