Having bump on the back of head. Has allergy and wheezing. Taking antibiotics. Suggest

I have a 19 year old son who has had a small lump on the back of his head for over a year and a half . He has been seen by 2 XXXXXXX medicine doctors during this time one said swollen lymph nodes One said lipoma 90 percent sure sent to plastic surgeon
For removal The plastic surgeon said it doesn't feel like a lipoma to him. I am very upset
He has terrible allergies that can lead to Weezing. He was also treated for a terrible stomach bug in mid XXXXXXX with iv fluids he also was bitten by a tick on the head several years ago and was given antibiotics.the knot is hard andsmall he believes it has gotten smaller it has not grown. He has no symptoms is active and behaving normally He says it hurts when people touch on it a lot
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:

1)     It can be a swollen lymph node since your son has a recent history of allergy and infections. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

2)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases. It is painless but can be painful when infected.

3)     Third possibility is of any benign tumor but it is usually present throughout and chances are less that it regresses in size.

Apply warm compresses and give him appropriate antibiotics for the infection. With antibiotics, the swollen localized lymph nodes will also regress in size.
However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.