Having bump on butt, getting big and bleeding. Feeling itchy and painful. What to do?

I have had a raised bump in my upper butt crack it doesn't seem to be a pimple because it has been there for about a year now and it sometimes gets really big and bleeds and also is itchy and painful I'm not sure what this is and what to do.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

The description and picture seems to be typical of pilonidal sinus with cyst. It needs to be excised by the surgeon. You should XXXXXXX a surgeon. It is simple procedure and take 10 minutes under local anesthesia. Medications are unfortunately not helpful in such cases.

If there is no cyst conservative therapy with good local hygiene and site shaving every 1-3 weeks have been shown to be as effective in preventing recurrence.

There could be dimple in that area which connects to a cavity filled with debris and tissue that get infected and blocked. Thus this cyst develops. The surgeon would excavate this cavity and remove the debris to close it under sterile conditions.

Let me know if you have further enquiry.