Having bulky uterus and heavy bleeding with clots. Getting back ache. Is it safe to insert mirena coil?

Question
Good morning ,I am 41 yrs old female having bulky uterus and menstruation with clots and heavy bleeding since two months . I am getting severe cramps and back ache since three years .I usually take meftal spas for pain .
I had cessarian section folowed by two operations for hernia one incissional and the other umbilical.I am in great confusion now .Please help me. One of my doctors advised me to have mirena inserted. Is it safe ?
Does Depo provera 150 MG INJECTION HELP ?

i HAD DISC LESION EARLIER , WHETHER THE INJECTION AFFECTS MY BONE ?

MY HERNIA OPERATION WAS DONE JUST SIX MONTHS AGO , WHETHER I CAN UNDERGO HYSTERECTOMY ?
My ultra sound scan of uterus is done and I have no fibroids ,six months bak D& C was made and tested for endometriasis and it was negative.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 30 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for writing to us.
Bulky uterus is the most common cause of menorrhagia or heavy bleeding in perimenopausal females.It is usually due to hormonal imbalance or adenomyosis.

Progesterone given orally cures it temporarily.
Mirena coil gives best results when there is an endometrial hyperplasia but in your case you already had D&C done with no results as in some cases it is diagnostic as well as therapeutic especially in case of hyperplasia so in my opinion you should not go for Mirena coil.
Regarding Depo shots , there can be adverse effects as you are above 40 so I will not advise them to you.
You can try oral progesterone for 2-3 cycles under guidance of your doctor and if bleeding persists , hysterectomy is the best option.Till then continue taking iron supplements.
Hernia operation done 6 months back does not interfere in the treatment but should be done in expert hands and better if done as a teamwork by gynaecologist as well as surgeon.

Good luck and speedy recovery

Follow-up: Having bulky uterus and heavy bleeding with clots. Getting back ache. Is it safe to insert mirena coil? 7 minutes later
Thank you madam

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 minutes later
You are welcome dear