Having bubbling sensation in upper stomach. Feeling air passing after burping. What to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a weird bubbling air pocket sensation in upper stomach mid to left side. Every time I burp a few seconds later I can feel air go to top of stomach and sometimes it sits there and sometimes it comes into esophagus without me burping. It does it when I do burp or eat. Sometimes it you can feel the Air bubbles come and sit there but every time I burp a few seconds later here come a bunch of air bubbles either top of stomach or esophagus. What could this be from?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it sounds like stomach issue

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
it sounds to me like hiatal hernia which commonly causes such symptoms and air trapping in protruded stomach and esophagus. But also esophagitis, gastritis and gerd may cause it as well especially if you are smoker and alcohol drinker.
so you should do gastroscopy or barium swallow test to rule this out. Till that you should change dietary habits. avoid coffee,alcohol,fried food,excessive air swallowing,fatty and spicy food. Also eat smaller meals but more frequently. Lose weight if overweight. And don't lay after meal.
if there is no improvement than some others treatments may be necessary such as surgical repair. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Having bubbling sensation in upper stomach. Feeling air passing after burping. What to do? 3 hours later
I had a scope done three months ago...nothing to abnormal at that point, but I have some reflux gerd stuff. I guess I could have gotten a hernia since then. Can small hernias correct themselves? I guess if its gerd then it will most likely fix itself when the gerd settles down? Can gerd flair up and get better off and on? I will have a month of gerd and then it gets better and on and off....most like stress related? Been under lots of stress. So I gues my question is can gerd get better on its own with diet and less stress and also same with small hernia? I've tried ppi drugs..don't help.... Thanks for taking the time,....
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hiatal hernia means that small part of stomach slides into thoracal cavity through diaphragm. since it slides it means that it can be in abdomen or thorax depending on your position, food you are eating,abdominal bloating and other. so it may not be seen at gastroscopy sometimes.
Yes, gerd is inflammation of stomach and esophageal mucosa caused by every other inflammation it has phases. if you avoid food that irritates it and take antiacid medicines it will heal but there should be at least 6-8 weeks of such treatment and diet. It can always reoccur again if mucosa become irriatted again by food, stress,alcohol or certain exercises. Gerd may or may not be associated with hiatal hernia. if not, then this treatment i ve mentioned is in most cases enough. but if there is hernia then symptoms might persist despite therapy and surgery may be necessary. PPi is the most efficient but there are some other drugs which are used such as ranitidine or antacids. There is also a possibility of H.pylori infection and then you need antibiotics to eradicate it.such infection must be confirmed by biopsy.
WIsh you good health.Regards